Last Updated on by
Editors Note: Updated October, 2018
Learn everything you need to know about custom cabinets and stock bath vanities! This is the first step in materializing your bathroom remodeling project.
Custom cabinets offer the highest flexibility but they will cost you the most. Stock vanities come in a variety of sizes with increments of 3″. If you can’t find a stock cabinet at https://www.ltc.sg/product-category/steel-cabinets/ that will fit your design, then you can order a custom or semi-custom cabinet to fit the exact dimensions of your layout. Here’s how you can determine whether or not you should take the custom route.
Portland Double Sink Vanity – $2,179.00
Being that you are at the researching stage in the buying process, I highly recommend checking out the Bathroom Vanities page to learn what to look. There’s tons of great information that is all there for you to read for free!
Custom bathroom cabinets are typically made by a local cabinet shop. They will make the cabinet box, face frame, drawers and doors. Accessories like drawer pulls depend on your agreement with your cabinet maker and can be included or excluded in pricing.
- Made completely from scratch by a cabinet maker.
- Quality of craftsmanship depends on the cabinet shop you select. Typically a higher standard.
- Unlimited possibilities for custom designs and style.
- Framework and finish charged at different rates.
- Minimum 8 weeks lead time.
Pricing for Custom Bathroom Cabinets:
- $250-$400 per square foot
- $150-$200 per linear square foot of finish work
- Installation cost $200-$1,000
- Total Cost + Installation: Starts at 2,300 for a standard single sink vanity
*Prices vary from shop to shop*
Semi-Custom cabinets give you the option of customizing certain aspects of the cabinet. They are available in stock cabinets sizes that can be altered at 1/8″ increments. They are not as expensive as fully customized cabinets but there are limitations on some custom options.
- Can be altered in width, depth, or height at 1/8″ increments.
- Made to order from mid-grade materials.
- Offers added flexibility in terms of fitment to your specific design.
- Minimum 6 weeks for completion.
Pricing for Semi-Custom Cabinets:
- $75-$250 per square foot
- $50-$100 per linear square foot of finish work
- Installation cost $200-$8,000
- Total Cost + Installation: Starts at $1,500 for a standard single sink vanity
The cost of semi-custom cabinets varies extensively based upon the level of customization involved. If you’re interested in ordering semi-custom cabinets for large commercial venues, you can contact trusted manufacturers like JWH Living.
Soft Focus Single Vessel Sink Vanity – $599.00
Stock Bathroom Vanities
Stock bathroom vanities are available in width ranging from 10″-96″ in 3 inch increments. Sometimes stock vanities are seen to be generic but you can find a wide selection of unique stock vanities online like these. Local hardware stores simply can’t stock all of their vanities because they take up too much floor space.
Bosconi Contemporary Single Vanity – $1,318.00
- Offer the best price as they are produced in mass quantities.
- Most models are available in many different sizes including double sink/single sink versions and with alternate finish options.
- Offered in a wide range of styles including wall-mounted floating vanities, transitional, furniture style vanities, and even European.
- Ready to order. You won’t have to live without a bathroom for 8 weeks while you stall your bathroom reno project.
- Can be ordered with or without tops to allow personalization.
Pricing for a Stock Bath Vanity:
- Low Range = $50-200 at your local hardware store. (Particle board vanities)
- Mid Range = $200-900 (Solid Plywood)
- Premium Quality = Upwards of $900 all the up to over $5k (Solid wood, hand-carved antique designs)
- Installation cost: $100-$300
- Total Cost + Installation: $750 Mid Range or $1,100 for Premium Quality
Keep in mind, stock vanities are made from a variety of materials including particle board, MDF, Plywood, and Solid Wood. Pricing also depends on whether or not the countertop is included and whether it comes pre-assembled. You can learn more about material quality by referring to these posts:
What’s Right for Me
In most cases, you will find that a stock vanity will work within the framework of your bath layout unless you are designed an elaborate custom job. Many times, custom bathroom cabinets are fashioned after established designs that have become quite popular. Be sure to review the sizing options of stock cabinets before assuming you need a custom cabinet.
Custom cabinets offer the most personalization but they come with a lofty price tag. That’s not to say it’s the wrong decision. Browse what’s out there before deciding to go the custom or semi-custom route. This will prevent you from creating a “custom” design that is already manufactured.
More on Bathroom Cabinetry
- 20 Small Bathroom Vanities that are Big on Style
- 10 Solid Wood Bathroom Vanities that Will Last a Lifetime
- Country Bathroom Vanities Infuse Your Bathroom with Warm Rustic Style
About the Author
Cheryl Khan is an interior designer and writer at Tradewinds Imports, an online specialty site dedicated to luxury bathroom furnishings. She has extensive knowledge about all the finer details that go into planning the perfect bath renovation project and is an expert on all things bathroom! Send her your bathroom Q’s on twitter @SuperInteriors!
[…] What You Need to Know About Custom Cabinets and Stock Bath Vanities […]